We here at Panoptic Development are big users of Google Hangouts.
We use Hangouts every day for our daily check-in. We use it for our weekly client meetings. We have even starting using Hangouts with client’s who don’t have a webcam via the Uberconference integration. We believe that using Hangouts is a big productivity win for us and our clients!
Here are top 7 reason we love Google+ Hangouts Over Skype.
- Group video conferencing. Hangouts allows for up to 10 users to video conference at a time (15 if you are a google+ premium user). Skype can have up to 25 users, but you must have the paid service for this feature.
- No bandwidth issues. Hangouts does not seem to have the bandwidth problems that Skype can have with multiple users. Hangouts also provides a “Slider” which allows a user to reduce the bandwidth for his video if issues arise.
- Free Calls. With Hangouts you can call landline and cell phone participants for free as long as they are in the US or Canada. Skype charges a per minute fee for this.
- Integration with Uberconference. Hangouts is now integrated with Uberconference. Non-video participants can call a conference call number and be conferenced in with the video participants.
- Its free. I can hear all you out there saying “So is Skype.” Yes, and no. Skype is free for one-on-one video conferencing, but for group video conferencing at least one member has to have the paid subscription.
- Screensharing. This is great to be able to do on the fly during a meeting. Saves a ton of time! Yes, Skype does this, but in our opinion it’s easier in Hangouts, and you can set it up prior to the video call to test.
- Integration with google docs. This makes it that much easier to edit and discuss documents in real-time.