7 Reasons We Use Google Hangouts Over Skype
Posted on April 7th, 2014 by Shannon Lewis
We here at Panoptic Development are big users of Google Hangouts. We use Hangouts every day for our daily checkin. We use it for our weekly client meetings. We have even starting using Hangouts with client’s who don’t have a webcam via the Uberconference integration. We believe that using Hangouts is a big productivity win for us and our clients!
Here are top 7 reason we love Google+ Hangouts Over Skype.
- Group video conferencing. Hangouts allows for up to 10 users to video conference at a time (15 if you are a google+ premium user). Skype can have up to 25 users, but you have to have the paid service for this feature.
- No bandwidth issues. Hangouts does not seem to have the bandwith problems that Skype can have with multiple users. Hangouts also provides a “Slider” which allows a user to reduce the bandwidth for his video if issues arise.
- Free Calls. With Hangouts you can call landline and cell phone participants for free as long as they are in the US or Canada. Skype charges a per minute fee for this.
- Integration with Uberconference. Hangouts is now integrated with Uberconference. Non-video participants can call a conference call number and be conferenced in with the video participants.
- Its free. I can hear all you out there saying “So is Skype.” Yes, and no. Skype is free for one-on-one video conferencing, but for group video conferencing at least one member has to have the paid subscription.
- Screensharing. This is great to be able to do on the fly during a meeting. Saves a ton of time! Yes, Skype does this, but in our opinion it’s easier in Hangouts, and you can set it up prior to the video call to test.
- Integration with google docs. This makes it that much easier to edit and discuss documents in real time.